Pages

14 March 2013

Top 13 Favorite Actresses


The following is a list of my Top 13 Favorite Actresses at this very moment. 

NOTE: The list is subject to change. The list is not solely based on acting ability; it is also based on charisma, uniqueness, nostalgia, and talent.* The list is alphabetical by last name with the exception of the number 1 actress; she is the best so she doesn't need to be alphabetized. The list almost included Audrey Hepburn & Julie Walters; however it does not.

Little Fish (2005)
13.  Cate Blanchett

First on my radar for: Pushing Tin (1999)
Most memorable role: Janine in Hot Fuzz (2007)
Additional works of note: Notes on a Scandal (2006), Little Fish (2005), Coffee and Cigarettes (2003), and Bandits (2001).

I never did see Elizabeth or its follow up. But I might just do it someday specifically because Blanchett is in them. I have yet to be disappointed by her. And this is coming from someone who watched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in its entirety.


Freaky Friday (1976)
12.  Jodie Foster

First on my radar for: Freaky Friday (1976)
Most memorable role: Annabel in Freaky Friday (1976)
Additional works of note: The Brave One (2007) and Nell (1994)

Yes, that is correct. I was introduced to Foster in Freaky Friday, not Taxi Driver or Silence of the Lambs. For a while I thought I wanted to be just like Annabel from Freaky Friday; later in life I realized that I just wanted to play field hockey like her.  
She is magnificent in Nell. And although I may be the only person to feel this way, The Brave One is one of Foster's best films. 


Jumpin' Jack Flash (1986)
11.  Whoopi Goldberg

First on my radar for: Jumpin' Jack Flash (1986)
Most memorable role: Celie in The Color Purple (1985)
Additional works of note: Rat Race (2001), Corrina, Corrina (1994), Star Trek: TNG (TV), Ghost (1990), and Burglar (1987)

Whoopi is an ingenious human being with a wide range of talents. I've looked up to her as a person for as long as I can remember. She's brilliant and hardworking. Over the years I've repeatedly watched her in Jumpin' Jack Flash and I have yet to tire of her character or her performance. Star Trek: TNG would not be the same without her as my Guinan. 
No, I didn't list Sister Mary Clarence from Sister Act in any of the roles of note for Whoopi. We all know about Sister Act, don't we? If I happen to be flipping through the channels and find Whoopi singing 'My Guy/My God,' I'm most definitely going to stop flipping and start watching. 


10 Things I Hate About You (1999)
10.  Allison Janney

First on my radar for: The Ice Storm (1997)
Most memorable role: Claudia Jean Craig on The West Wing (TV)
Additional works of note: Away We Go (2009), The Chumscrubber (2005), Nurse Betty (2000), 10 Things I Hate About You (1999), and Guiding Light (TV)

Allison Janney is often underrated, and that's a pity. She's strong, beautiful, and can act her ass off. She is the sort of human being that I think I would love to meet, but if it actually happened I would probably have some sort of uncontrollable bodily fluid evacuation. That's right, she's that good.


The Apartment (1960)
9.  Shirley MacLaine 

First on my radar for: Steel Magnolias (1989)
Most memorable role: Fran in The Apartment (1960)
Additional works of note: Bernie (2011), Guarding Tess (1994), and The Trouble with Harry (1955)

Two of my favorite actresses don't need any explanation. Shirley MacLaine is one of them; Dame Maggie Smith is the other. 


Greenfingers (2000)
8.  Helen Mirren 

First on my radar for: Greenfingers (2000)
Most memorable role: Chris in Calendar Girls (2003)
Additional works of note: The Queen (2006), The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (2005), Teaching Mrs. Tingle (1999), and Caligula (1979)

Mirren has a special something that I find difficult to explain. So I won't even try.


Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
7.  Kristin Scott Thomas 

First on my radar for: Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
Most memorable role: Juliette in I've Loved You So Long (2008)
Additional works of note: The Golden Compass (2007), Tell No One (2006), and Keeping Mum (2005)

Kristin Scott Thomas, or as I like to call her KST (pronounced 'kisst'), blew me away in I've Loved You So Long. I had never really realized how amazing she was until I saw that film. And she is truly amazing. I didn't much care for The English Patient or Gosford Park, so I always just categorized her as a women who liked being cast in relentlessly tedious films. Now I know better.


Resident Evil (2002)
6.  Michelle Rodriguez 

First on my radar for: Resident Evil (2002)
Most memorable role: Diana in Girlfight (2000)
Additional works of note: Machete (2010), Lost (TV), and S.W.A.T. (2003)

Rodriguez is someone that little kids can look up to. She has serious acting chops. More often then not she portrays strong characters and she does it with ease. She is convincing as a person who can kick some ass. I like that. It's one of the reasons why she is on my list of favorites and an "action star" like Angelina Jolie is not.


Evil Under the Sun (1982)
5.  Maggie Smith 

First on my radar for: Hook (1991)
Most memorable role: Daphne in Evil Under the Sun (1982)
Additional works of note: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011), Harry Potter 1-7 (2001-2011), Keeping Mum (2005), Murder by Death (1976)

Two of my favorite actresses don't need any explanation. Dame Maggie Smith is one of them; Shirley MacLaine is the other. 


Glorious 39 (2009)
4.  Juno Temple 

First on my radar for: Glorious 39 (2009)
Most memorable role: Dottie in Killer Joe (2011)
Additional works of note: The Dark Knight Rises (2012) and Notes on a Scandal (2006)

Juno Temple has an amazing young actress with a promising career in her future. Killer Joe convinced me of that. Her American accent in Killer Joe is spot on and her performance is stellar. I expect great things from her. Hopefully she will never have to be in a movie like Year One again. Even if she is, I will probably find a way to forgive her. 


Godspell (1973)
3.  Lynne Thigpen 

First on my radar for: Godspell (1973)
Most memorable role: The Chief in Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (TV)
Additional works of note: Novocaine (2001), Shaft (2000), The Insider (1999), thirtysomething (TV), and Tootsie (1982)

Lynne Thigpen was special. She had talent oozing out of her pores. Her vocal prowess was unmatched. Her voice will forever be burned in my memory. Thigpen was a strong influential women. Although she had too short a life, she made a huge impact on me. Rest in peace, Ms. Thigpen and thank you. 


Wit (2001)
2.  Emma Thompson 

First on my radar for: Henry V (1989)
Most memorable role: Vivian in Wit (TV movie 2001)
Additional works of note: Last Chance Harvey (2008), Stranger Than Fiction (2006), Love Actually (2003), Maybe Baby (2000), Peter's Friends (1992), and The Young Ones (TV)

Emma Thompson is witty, but I'm not saying that because she starred in the movie Wit. That movie is gut-wrenching and seeing her performance in it made me realize she is a unique talent with more than a few tricks up her sleeve. 


Connie and Carla (2004)
1.  Toni Collette

First on my radar for: Muriel's Wedding (1994)
Most memorable role: Julie in Cosi (1996)
Additional works of note: Fright Night (2011), The Black Balloon (2008), LIttle Miss Sunshine (2006), Connie and Carla (2004), Japanese Story (2003), About a Boy (2002), Shaft (2000), The Sixth Sense (1999), Velvet Goldmine (1998), and The Efficiency Expert (1992)

Toni Collette is one of the best actresses working today. I will watch any film starring Collette. The fact that I have seen In Her Shoes is proof of that.
Collette is often underrated, but not by me. She has an amazing set of pipes on her. She is gutsy and strong.  And she has heart. You can get a sense of her range of talents by watching just a single episode of United States of Tara. 
I knew that I liked her after seeing Muriel's Wedding, Cosi, and Velvet Goldmine. It wasn't until I saw Japanese Story that I recognized how much respect I had for her. And it wasn't until Connie and Carla that I realized I loved her. 

These are my favorites right now. Who are yours?


*My favoritism and judging inspiration comes partially from RuPaul, even though Ru did not make this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment