Pages

16 June 2011

Curious George

I have been a fan of the Curious George books by Margret and H.A. Rey for so long. They were my favorite childhood reading materials and bring back many fond memories. I was concerned that when they decided to make a Curious George movie that it would be a complete bastardization of the MY George. Therefore, I'm surprised to be saying this but when it comes to the Curious George movie...I loved it!

It is a tall order to fill and not just for me. Curious George is one of the most popular children's stories of the past 60 years. George and his world are altered to make the film more modern and marketable but the film makers are able to do it without corrupting its virtue. The man in the yellow hat gets a name and quite a personality. He is voiced by Will Ferrell and his name is Ted. Ted and George meet in the jungle and George follows "Ted" to the city. George leaves the jungle because...well...he is curious. It's adorable, touching & sweet. The film has an old fashioned feel to it. It's very 2D and that adds to the innocence. George is drawn slightly different from the books but his new look makes him even cuter then I thought was possible. Jack Johnson is responsible for the soundtrack. His voice and his style were the perfect choice. The credits even have original drawings of George throughout them. All I can do is gush about this movie. It's uncomplicated and filled with so much innocence. It is perfect for kids and adults who never stopped loving George. I am not convinced that Disney would be able to make a children's film of this caliber, so I am glad that someone else was behind this film. It's clean, unoffensive, unobjectionable, and untainted...

No comments:

Post a Comment